April 28, 2017
- Last meeting of the semester. The club had its annual P5. Members worked on their portfolios and ate pizza. We discussed meeting times and location for next semester on Friday’s. We concluded we would hold meetings in the business building. The time has not been concluded but an email update will be coming soon.
April 21, 2017
- We discussed P5, and the schedule for next semester’s meeting day and time. Most people expressed interest in P5 and the majority concluded Friday for next semester’s meeting day. We then talked about what to do with our Novella and we collectively agreed to continue it through the summer. After, we workshopped Julie’s and Donald’s intro pieces for the novella.
April 7th, 2017
- We discussed scheduling P5 and next semesters meeting time and date briefly. We concluded we will send a poll out to see what works best for the majority of members. Afterword we reviewed the characters we finalized and began to create scenes that incorporate them. We worked individually but also had open discussion of ideas.
March 31st, 2017
- Collectively work-shopped characters to include in the novella plot. We completed creating all of our characters, including; two professors, a janitor, cleaning lady, four main character students, and other minor students characters belonging to the class.
March 24th, 2017
- Went over our findings from Rowan Archive including tunnels, Normal School, Whitney Family, “The Oaks”, torch, segregation in housing, dinks, Library of Congress, bell, classes, one building, and bank.
- Went over plot’s created from previous meeting, reading aloud to refresh our memories.
- Work shopped Plots in groups of two on the board creating individual and unique plots that centered around the ghost character’s involvement and conflict.
- We tallied votes after reading through each one and decided on one plot we all liked and agreed upon the most.
- We discussed plans for next meeting to develop more characters.
March 3rd, 2017
- Went over WAC Spotlight Form and how to fill it out on our website.
- Took tallies on people’s opinion of having the meeting next Friday because of spring break. Majority present voted to have the meeting, will conclude the tallies through email will rest of club members.
- Had members contribute their ideas of what important points we should address during SGA presentation. Some of those ideas were that the club focuses on collaboration, there are transitions learned in the writing project. We have authors present during peer review and write/edit together for fun. Also that we apply skills learned in class.
- We presented our new logo design of the Rowan tree which everyone loved and agreed upon.
- We discussed working on the plot outline next week until our attendance is higher and we all can agree upon the final version of it.
- During the majority of the meeting we work shopped characters in groups of three. There were a total of six diverse characters created that will be added to our shared document to add more characters to till next meeting.
February 24th, 2017
- We attended one of the creative writing professor candidate readings for this week’s meeting (Chrissy Kolaya).
- She read sections from her novel Charmed Particles which is based on true events. She read sections from chapter 1, 2, and 6.
- She talked about the challenge of communicating science to an audience who is not a part of that discourse community.
- There was a question and answer session after the reading.
February 17th, 2017
- 4+1 discussion presented by Emily and Rachel about program overview, application process, and eligibility.
- Read, workshop, and discuss plot outlines.
- Reminder about the book and clothing drive.
- Vote about making meetings an hour and a half long instead of only an hour long.
- Vote outcome was to make meetings an hour and a half long for now on.
- Completely finish and finalize novella plot outline for next time.
February 10th, 2017
- Read through revised one-page plot outlines.
- Workshop each one-page plot outline.
- Discuss the idea of doing research for this project.
- Discuss book and clothing drive for our club service project. Last collection date will be February 24th, 2017.
- Members are asked to revise plots to include a conflict and mystery element for next meeting.
February 3rd, 2017
- Read through everyone’s plot outline.
- Workshop each outline.
- Members begin working on more in-depth, one-page plot outlines, and they are asked to bring them back for next time.
January 27th, 2017
- Welcome! Introduction to the Writing Arts Club.
- Ice Breakers and participant introductions.
- Introduction to the Spring 2017 club project ideas.
- Vote between collaborative novella or collection of short stories.
- Collaborative novella wins the vote.
- Begin working on novella’s basic plot outline.
- Brainstorming ideas.
- Everyone is asked to write a one-paragraph outline for next time.